Friday, March 27, 2009

Thing 11

I read all the info that was given on this Thing and watched the video too. Then I went off to explore some of the suggested sites. I started with Mixx. It was interesting. It kind of reminds me of another Thing we did awhile back, I think it was number 4, with the RSS. Then I tried Digg (Mixx? Digg? whats up with the double letter thing....I work at a library, I keep wanting to spell it all CORRECTLY!) but when I went to search for stories about my favorite website, Gaia Online, all I got was a busy message. It said they were experiencing a heavy trafic at this time...its 5:30 in the morning?!? Seriously how many people could be on Digg now?!? Then I found a story on the New York Times' website and shared it to my profile on Facebook.

I think this could be useful throughout the library because it allows people to see different articles that are similar. Say a patron is looking up places to eat in a strange town while on vacation. He finds one article about a new resturant that says its a good place, but that has reccomended stories about how bad the place is. Then he won't go there and save himself an awful experience. I know that is a pretty lousy example of how it can be used in the library, but its 5:30am, give me a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment